Awards and Prizes
The department recognizes student excellence through a number of prizes; physics and astronomy students also regularly win prestigious external awards.
Awards to incoming graduate studentsProvost's Scholarships reduce the out-of-state tuition fees to the in-state fees for one year. Only a few are awarded each year in the whole university.
2012: Eric Sansone
2011: Riley Williams
Maxwell ScholarshipsMaxwell scholarships are awarded to graduate students in the College of Science.
2014: Bruce Laughlin
2013: Bruce Laughlin and Victor Rodriguez
2012: Ali Shayegan and Diana Madera
2011: Casey Moore
Achievement Awards for College Scientists
The ARCS Foundation provides scholarships (currently $10,000) to academically outstanding United States citizens studying to complete their degrees in science, medicine and engineering.
- 2016/17: Shervin Sahba
- 2015/16: Shervin Sahba
- 2013/14: Arthur Adams
- 2011/12: Scott Shermer
- 2010/11: Patrick Dunn
- 2009/10: Greg Bolloten
- 2008/09: Greg Bolloten and Kelsey Clubb
- 2007/08: Faustin Carter
- 2006/07: Aisha Hunte, Liliana Lopez, and Jack Young
Michael and Greta McKinney Scholarship
This departmental scholarship (currently $5000) is awarded annually to a "rising senior majoring in Physics."
- 2016: Megan Tangonan
- 2015: Ryan Vaught
Department Research Fellowship
This departmental fellowship (currently $2000) recognizes graduate excellence in research, and is awarded annually.
- 2015/16: Kristian Chung and Justin Wittrock (shared)
Peter Chau Fellowship
This one-time fellowship ($1000) honors the memory of Peter Chau, and recognizes graduate excellence in research.
- 2015/16: Manavjot Singh
Marcy Research Fellowship
This departmental fellowship recognized graduate excellence in research, and was awarded annually.
- 2014/15: Peter Chau
- 2013/14: Geev Nahal
- 2012/13: Sam Tsitrin
- 2011/12: no award
- 2010/11: Samy Kamal and Srikar Srinath
- 2009/10: Kim Litwin and James Osborne
- 2008/09: John Brewer
- 2007/08: Matt Giguere
Eden Academic Excellence Award
The Eden Award recognizes and rewards B.S. Chemistry and B.S. Physics majors for excellent performance in upper-division or advanced courses required in the major program. Note that students in the following programs are NOT eligible for the Eden Award: B.S. Physics (Concentration in Astrophysics) and the B.S. Physics (Teaching).
- Fall 2016: Brandon Gunn
- Spring 2016: Catherine Alviar, Christopher Batters, Eduardo Palacios, Bowen Yu
- Fall 2015: Sean Barulich, Noah Scandrette, Roy Sfadia
- Spring 2015: Ho Chan, Conrad Nowak, Dylan Pounds, Daniel Steckhahn, Ryan Vaught, Jiangyan Wu
- Fall 2014: Javier Barahona, Amirfarhad Izadi, Connor Poland, David Robinson, Graham Siggins, Jiangyan Wu
- Spring 2014: William Conley, Trevor Kelly, Colton Martin, Stephen Nenni, Connor Poland, David Robinson, Graham Siggins, Darius Visher
- Fall 2013: Javier Barahona, Drew Bischel, Amirfarhad Izadi, Jordan Jo, Stephen Nenni, Erik Norman, Darius Visher
- Spring 2013: Drew Bischel, Timothy Gushue, Stephanie Lauber, Nicholas Mathis, Erik Norman, Kathleen Shreve, Taylor Womble-Dahl
- Fall 2012: Seth Gossage, Timothy Gushue, Christian Hansen, Brian Leung, Wu Li Leung, Nicholas Mathis, Kathleen Shreve
- Spring 2012: Seth Gossage, Christian Hansen, Zachary Johnson, Brian Leung
- Fall 2011: Philip Cala, Drake Cannan, Yingquan He, Mayra Lopez-Thibodeaux, Yann Ly, Victor Rodriguez, Sebastian Rozo
- Spring 2011: Drake Cannan, Daniel Cuneo, Victor Rodriguez
- Fall 2010: Alex Miller, Howard Nguyen, Matthew Salazar
- Spring 2010: Daniel Cuneo, Alex Miller, Howard Nguyen, Steve Pehrson, Matthew Salazar
- Fall 2009: Mary Rose Marcaida, Kazue Matsuyama
- Spring 2009: Raymundo Becerra, Kazue Matsuyama, Steve Pehrson, Karina Roitman, and Masimi Yoshihara
- Fall 2008: Karina Roitman, Jason Smith, and Masimi Yoshihara
- Spring 2008: Daniel Shuldman and Elliot Fuller
- Fall 2007: Bart Gasiewski, Elliot Fuller, Fred Bates, Jamie Molaro
AAPT Outstanding TA AwardsThe award is a free membership in AAPT for one year.
- 2016: Jack Dillon, Justin Wittrock
- 2015: Daniel McKeown, Manavjot Singh
- 2014: Priyanjoli Mukherjee
- 2012: Scott Shermer
- 2011: Greg Romine
- 2010: Patrick Dunn, Andrew Fittingoff, Darrel Lim
- 2009: Kim Litwin, Polin Yadak
- 2008: Michelle Krok